European Central Bank: PhD Traineeship in Strategic Communication – Analytics and Research (7681)
The European Central Bank has launched: PhD Traineeship in Strategic Communication – Analytics and Research
Type of contract PhD traineeship
Who can apply? EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme
Grant The trainee grant is €1,970 per month plus an accommodation allowance (see further information section)
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 27.03.2023
You will join the Strategic Communication Section in the Directorate General Communications (DG/C). Our Directorate General has around 200 staff striving to keep euro area citizens informed about the ECB’s mission and work. DG/C is currently working on a wide range of communication projects and initiatives with a view to making the ECB better understood, more accessible and transparent.
You will be part of a team of five staff who inform DG/C’s strategy by adopting a data-driven approach to communications. We monitor and analyse the ECB’s communication and the communication landscape, conduct research on central bank communication, and inform, plan and evaluate the communication strategies of the ECB, its President, its Executive Board and its Supervisory Board. We work closely with colleagues across DG/C with a view to improving the ECB’s communication products.
We monitor and analyse (i) ECB interviews, speeches, publications and events, (ii) the performance of the ECB’s digital and social media channels, and (iii) trends emerging in editorial and social media. We also carry out research projects – for example, exploring people’s knowledge of and attitudes towards the ECB. We use several different data sources (e.g. text, survey data, websites and social media) and various techniques (NLP, machine learning, etc.).
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
As a PhD trainee in the Strategic Communication Section, you will:
- conduct analysis and research in relation to ECB communication, media coverage and public opinion on the basis of available data;
- present results and relevant insights to management and other stakeholders, making recommendations in relation to strategic decision-making;
- help to compile regular analytical reports;
- foster a data and evidence-based approach to communications;
- explore, test and develop new tools and technologies, and maintain our databases.
This position will offer excellent opportunities to gain hands-on experience of analysis and research in the growing field of central bank communication, harnessing a wide and rich set of data. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree and at least two years of PhD studies in economics, political science, finance, statistics, data science, engineering or a related field;
- a sound understanding of the ECB, its main tasks and programmes, and the basics of monetary policy;
- sound data processing, data visualisation and quantitative analysis skills;
- programming experience involving quantitative software such as Stata, R or Python;
- a good knowledge of the MS Office package;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
You are curious and eager to learn, and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs, and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are keen to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the aims of this position.
PhD traineeship of between three and six months, with a possible extension up to 12 months in total.
Other details on the conditions applicable to traineeships at the ECB can be found on our website.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to Siria Angino on +49 (0)172 4632477 between 14:30 and 15:30 on Friday, 10 March, and Tuesday, 21 March.
Application and selection process
Further information on how to apply is available on our website.
The recruitment process for this position will include an online interview.
If you are not selected for this position but are still considered suitable, you will be placed on a reserve list for 12 months from the closing date for applications, from which you might be considered for other traineeship positions within the ECB.